Before setting up Bookings, we strongly recommend sitting down with your administrative team and discussing what resources should be managed and how best to manage these resources. If you would like to meet with the Jmanage team to discuss set up, please submit a support ticket.
To begin, you will need to decide your Resources, their Configurations and Size Units. These components are necessary for Basic Setup. Advanced Setup includes Cancellation, Status, Resource Types, Locations, and Ad hoc items.
Resources: A Resource is any item you have to offer to your members or the general public. Resources can be Limited or Unlimited. A Limited Resource would be a conference room or vehicle; an item that only one group or person can use at a time. An Unlimited Resource would be coffee urns, candles, kiddush cups: items which can be reserved in advance, but Unlimited in that many people or groups can have as many as they would like.
Configuration: A Resource Configuration Set is how the Resource will be made available. When you book a resource, the reservation will be for a day and time. But you may want to set a different price for number of tables used, people attending, or whether the resource will be used by an internal group or external group. Each of these options would be different Resource Configuration Sets.
Size Unit: The Configuration must be set in increments. For instance, you could increment by People, Tables, Hours, Days.
Resources, Configurations, and Size Units are entered into the system in reverse order: Size Unit must be set up before Configuration, Configuration must be set up before Resources. As this can be confusing for first time users, here is an example to walk through set up:
Example Setup: Basic
Let's say that our synagogue has a conference room. The room is our Limited Resources, because different groups cannot have the same room at the same time.
We would like to have the rooms free for our members. But we would also like to make the rooms available to outside groups for a fee. The different uses are our Configuration Sets.
We would like both member and groups to book by the hour. This will be our Size Unit.
We would also like to offer coffee and tea urns. Because we have plenty of urns, they are Unlimited Resources. We would like the urns to be free for members and at minor cost for outside groups. These different uses are also Configuration Sets. The coffee urns will be available for the duration of the event, but since a Size Unit must be set for every resource, we will use Urns.
Using the scenario above, I will walk through the process of setting up rooms and coffee urns.
Step 1: Create Size Units
Note: Several Size Unit options are available upon installation. Deleting them is not recommended, but new Units can be created using the steps below.
- Go to Administer > civiBooking > Size Unit
- Click Add Resource Configuration size unit
- Label - Fill in the title of your size unit. In the example above, I discussed time units. So will create one size unit called Hour.
- Value - Fill in the same term that you used for label, or any other value that would help you differentiate. Important note: Value will default to number, do not use number.
- Description - Fill a description that would helpful to your staff.
- Click Save
Now, we use the same Add Resource Configuration size unit, but this time create a unit called Urn.
- Click Done
Step 2: Create Resource Configuration Sets
- Go to Administer > civiBooking > Resource Configuration Set
- Click Add Resource Configuration Set
- Label - Fill in the title of a general configuration. In the example above, I discussed Rooms. So I will create one general configuration set called Room.
- Click Save
- What comes up next is New Resource Configuration Option. This is where you will set your price, unit, etc.
- Label - Fill in the title of a configuration option. Using the example above, I fill in Internal Use
- Price - I will use 0, since the rooms will be free for internal use.
- Max Size - Max size refers to the number of units. So in this instance, I want to say that people can book for up to 8 hours
- Unit - I set this to Hour
- Weight - I leave this at default
- Click Save
Use the same New Resource Configuration Option to add External Use. Each step remains the same, except that the label will be External Use and Price will be $25.
To add coffee, go back to Administer > civiBooking > Resource Configuration Set. Repeat Step 2, this time adding a Resource Configuration Set called Coffee. For the Resource Configuration Set Options, you can use Internal and External, but set the size unit to Urn, rather than Hour. For External Groups, set the price per Urn at $3.00.
Step 3: Create Resources
- Administer > civiBooking > Manage Resources
- Add Resource
- Resource Type: This is a drop down. I choose Room.*
- Resource Label: Fill in what your resource will be called. Following the example above, I wrote Room.**
- Resource Location: This can be left blank.***
- Resource Configuration Set: Use the Configuration Set created in Step 2. Following the example above, I use Room.
- Unlimited? This box remains unchecked, because rooms are a Limited Resource.
To add Coffee, repeat Step 3. For Label, write Coffee. For Resource Type, choose Coffee/Tea from drop down. For Resource Configuration Set, use Coffee. Unlimited? box should be checked, because coffee is an Unlimited Resource.
Your staff can now reserve rooms and coffee using the Booking Wizard
*Like Size Units, Bookings installation includes Resource Types. If you would like more options, use the Advanced Setup <insert link>
**If you have multiple rooms available, you will want to add a resource for each, using the label to differentiate (Lobby, Dining Hall, Conference Room A, Conference Room B). Depending on your needs, you may want to create different Configuration Sets for each room. You could also use the same Configuration Set for all rooms.
***Locations are not required for Basic Setup. If you would like to create Locations, use the Advanced Setup <insert link>