The standard permissioned content that is already in your environment for your school include:
*Assign this role to anyone who is a part of your school staff. Make SURE to remove this role when someone is no longer on the staff.
Next, you will need to enable the "School" area that is only visible to Teacher & School Administrator roles. To do this:
- Go to: Front End Administer/ Site Building/ Menus/ Click "new menu". Title this "School". Add a menu link item such as a link to page you've already created for the "School area".
- A new adv. block is automatically created. Go to Blocks/ Disabled Blocks: find "School" block and enable. Click save.
- Find the enabled block and on the right-hand side, click the "configure" button to edit the block's visibility settings. Check the following boxes: visible ONLY to roles "teacher" and "school administrator". Click save.
Importantly, make sure to test & confirm your block is only visible to roles "teacher" and "school administrator". To do this, create 2 new users. Go to:
Front end Administer/ User Management/ Users/ Add User.
- Create a "dummy" person. For the role, check "school administrator" for first user you create.
- Then repeat the process by clicking "add user" and checking "teacher" for the second user.
- Finally, logout and log back in as both users using the password you created when adding the 2 new users to view the site as your board director and/or Teacher would see the site. Otherwise, use "masquerade" block if you have this enabled and know how to use it in your environment. When logged in as both "School Administrator" and "Teacher" you should be able to see the School block. When logged in as "School Administrator" you should also be able to click on the quick-links "Create Content" and see the content type "blog". School Administrator should be able to edit any board page. Teacher should only be able to edit their own blog page(s).
Congratulations! Your set-up is complete.