You may have unique content that you would like to appear only on certain subpages in the right side bar. Add new blocks to specific pages by following these steps:
- Login and go to Structure > Block > Add Block in the admin menu.
- Give your new block a Title and a description – they can be the same thing. The Block title will show to the user on the front end of the website; the description you will see in the admin view of blocks. Add your content to the block – it can be text with hyperlinks, just text, text with heading style applied, and you can upload images, and embed videos and audio.
Scroll down to the Region Settings, and select ‘Sidebar Second’ from the dropdown list of choices – this is what the right side bar is called in the backend.
- Since you only want this block to appear on certain pages, you need to add the alias of those pages within the Pages > Show block on specific pages settings. Select the option for ‘Only the listed pages’, and use the relative URL of the page – do not include the page domain. List all page aliases you want the block to appear on.
If you want it to appear on every page of a section that has subpages, you can use the ‘/*’ option – this will add the block to the parent page and all subsequent child page with that URL path. For example if I wanted this block to appear on all of my clergy pages, I would add ‘about- us/clergy’ so it appears on the Clergy page, and ‘about-us/clergy/* so that it will appear on any subpage of clergy and not on just ‘about-us/clergy’
Save block. You will be taken to the Block admin page. Scroll down to the Side bar second region, and look for your new block.
- Depending on the other blocks in that region of side bar second, you may need to move the new block above other blocks if you want it to appear at the top of the column.
- After you click and drag the new block in the correct order, scroll down and save.
- Go to your page and confirm the new block is there and where you want to see it.
- There may be blocks you want to remove from the right side bar. Configure block settings, and within the visibility settings, add the page(s) you do not want it to appear on within the ‘show block on specific pages’ settings. You can use the wildcard (/*) option here as well to remove it from a parent section and its children pages. Save the block once you’ve entered the exceptions. In this example, let’s remove the Info block that appears under our new block on this page.
The Info block has been removed from this section pages.