IMPORTANT: If you need to create a recurring credit card contribution for an amount that needs to be adjusted for hardship reasons, follow the instructions below to create the subscription for the adjusted amount (e.g. if full member dues are $2,600 and the member is being allotted a $300 reduction, create a recurring subscription for $2,300), then click HERE for instructions on recording the adjustment for accurate obligations reporting.
To create a new recurring credit card subscription in your back office, complete the following steps:
- Login and go to your back office. On the left sidebar, click the tab "Create New" > Choose "Contribution (credit card)".
- Complete the contribution details: (1a) name of contributor in the system or (1b) create a new contact if donor does not already have a record, (2) financial type (3a) amount for EACH recurring payment or (3b) a split of amount for EACH recurring payment using a price set. Enter in the details of the recurring subscription by (4) checking the box "every ___ (days, weeks, months, year) for ___ number of installments" (NOTE: you can leave the # of installments block blank to create an ongoing donation), (5) if your payment processor account is with authorize.net, enter in the start date of the subscription. The next installment will then be measured from this start date, otherwise, the first installment date is the day after you create the recurring subscription (as explained in 4a below), (6) source will show on your donor's statements/ receipts/ tax letter tokens, and (7) if you want to send a receipt immediately to the donor letter them know you've setup the recurring subscription.
- Enter in the credit card details -(1) card type, (2) card number, (3) security code, (4) expiration date - and (5) billing address. 1 - 4 are encrypted and NOT saved in your back office. They are saved in your payment processor (outside) software. The billing address is saved within your back office.
- Once all of the credit card details have been entered, click Save. In the contact's contribution tab, you will see two items:
- The first installment of the recurring subscription will be listed in a status of "Pending". It can take up to 24 hours to process the first installment of a recurring credit card subscription - once the first installment has settled successfully, the pending contribution record is updated to "Completed" status. If the transaction is declined, the initial pending contribution record will be updated with a status of "Failed". If this occurs, please review the instructions HERE regarding the modification of recurring credit card subscriptions.
- At the very bottom of the screen you will see a summary of the credit card subscription you just created.