This page will cover the various ways of reporting on your school attendance (event registration). The biggest difference between a search and a report is report criteria can be saved for future reporting. Search criteria cannot be saved but are "actionable", meaning you can do something with the results list (e.g. email contacts, send PDF letter, etc). The searches and reports we will cover include:
- SEARCH: Find Participants
- CUSTOM SEARCH: Fancy Participation Search
- REPORT: Event Participant Report (List)
How to find: Search/ Find Participants
Overview: This is a basic search to find non-financial details on participants (students) who've been registered for/ attended class events.
- Participant (student) Name
- Event Name
- Event Type
- Date Range
- Participant Role (student)
- Custom Data: Extra participant (student) Info
- Participant Status (e.g. registered, attended, no-show, etc)
NOTE: You can always leave all filters open on any of these searches and see ALL participant (student)s registered, etc.
Actions: from the search results, you can complete the following actions:
- batch update (attend profiles training or watch screencast on profiles)
- change participant (student) status
- delete participant (student) record (this only deletes the event participation, not the contact record)
- export results list to a spreadsheet
- new smart group (good for merging duplicate contact records)
- print name badges
- send email to participants (students)
How to find: Search/ Custom Search (click)/ Fancy participant (student) Search
Overview: This search is meant to be used for reporting on complex events (e.g. online event registration) using complex pricing (e.g. price sets). Furthermore, this search allows you to report on financial AND non-financial fields.
- Criteria to use: Events
- Events to View: you choose one or more events (e.g. classes) from a drop-down select field.
- Layout Choice: same as event participant (student) search with price sets:
- one row per item (each price field will be an item or row for each participant (student))
- one row per participant (student) (itemized columns can be see to the right)
- summarized (event totals for each price field will show)
- Columns to Display: for this search, you also have the option of choosing (non-financial) custom data to be displayed as columns, such as the participant (student)s phone, address, etc. You MUST choose layout choice " one row per participant (student)" for these columns to display.
Let's run through an example.
STEP 1: Back office Create New/ Event Registration/ for event "Spring Adult Education". Enter in details and (if applicable) record event payment. Here we'll fill in "note" and "needs transportation?". Click Save.
STEP 2: Search/ Custom Search/ Fancy participant (student) Search
STEP 3: add filters
- Event: Spring Adult Education
- Layout Choice : One Row Per participant (student)
- Columns to Display: we'll choose first name, last name, email, extra participant (student) info: note, and extra participant (student) info: needs transportation
RESULTS: we now see a column for each custom field chosen. For example, here I see all those who need transportation.(1 = yes; 0 = no)
Actions: From the search results, you can complete the following actions:
- export to a spreadsheet
- email/ mass mailing
- print PDF letters
How to find: Reports/ Report Lists/ Events/Event participant (student) Report (List)
Overview: Provides lists of participant (student)s for an event. The difference between this report and the other searches is that:
- Reports can be saved. this is helpful for larger organizations that have only one person create the report criteria, and others simply need to run the report.
- Reports can be saved as a dashlet for your homepage (back office) screen.
- Searches allow "actions", such as sending an email to contacts, print name badges, or print thank you PDF letters with mail merge tokens. Reports do not have this feature.
- address fields
- (related) organization
- event information (event name, participant (student) status, participant (student) role, simple fee amounts, event date, etc)
- CUSTOM DATA: besides the basic individual data and event information, you can choose display columns from ANY individual or participant (student) custom data set in your system. Click to expand the data set and choose to have that field display as a column in your results.
Order By Columns: this features allows you to chose how your results will be sorted or ordered. For example, here we could order by Last Name, First Name, Ascending.
Filters: as with the display columns, we have all the basic fields to filter on (individual basic details and/ or event information. We ALSO can filter on any custom data in the system. Click to expand the data set and choose to have that field used as a filter for your results.
Actions: export to PDF, spreadsheet (CSV), or save as a dashlet for dashboard
TO SAVE AS A DASHLET: Click to expand "report settings". check box "Available for Dashboard?". Click 'Update Report" to save current report or "Save As..." to create a new report/ dashlet.