Occasionally, a contribution paid by check is recorded against a pledge with a status of “Complete”, but the bank informs you that the check bounced, signaling that the contribution status should be changed to “Canceled”.
Alternatively, a donor might request a refund for a credit card payment made against a pledge - if this is the case, please login to your payment processor website, such as www.authorize.net, and either VOID the transaction, or put the refund amount back on the credit card before continuing to the method described below.
This same method can also be used to correct contributions mistakenly recorded on the wrong pledge.
- Following are the details of the recorded pledge:
- A contribution of $100 was recorded against the pledge, but either the check bounced, a credit card refund was requested, or it was later determined that the contribution was given by a different donor and applied to the wrong pledge. Our pledge details now look like this:
- To indicate that a check was bounced, a credit card payment refunded, or to cancel an incorrect contribution, access the contact record and click the Pledges tab.
- Expand the pledge in question to find the incorrect contribution and click the “View Payment” hyperlink.
- Click the “Edit” button.
- Change the contribution status to “Canceled” (in the case of a bounced check or a contribution reported against the wrong pledge), or “Refunded” (in the case of a credit card refund), add additional details as desired, and click to save.
- Changing the contribution status to “Canceled” or “Refunded” will adjust the amounts received and balance due on the pledge, but it will do nothing to change the pledge schedule – the system expects 11 payments of $100. Our pledge details now look like this:
- Take the following steps to adjust the payment schedule:
- From the top navigation menu, click Finances > Pledges > Find Pledges.
- Enter the contact name and click search.
- Click to toggle the check box of the pledge in question.
- Select Modify Pledge Payment Schedule from the actions drop down menu, then click go.
- Enter the following details, then click save:
- Start date: 7/1/2013
- Number of installments: 12
- Frequency: occurring every 1 months
- The pledge update function will adjust the remaining scheduled payments for the balance according to the details entered for start date, installments and frequency,so our pledge details will now look as follows:
- Expand the pledge to view the payment schedule – compared to the system-adjusted payment schedule, this is what we’ll see:
- If you are cancelling an incorrect contribution, be sure to record the payment received against the correct pledge.