In your previous system, it was recorded that a member sent a $1,200 check as a prepayment for next year's dues, but no charges were entered because it has yet to be decided how much will be charged for dues next year. This payment was imported as a contribution of $1,200.
During the import process, a file is prepared with the list of credit balances that were excluded from import (in this example, the list would show a $1,200 credit balance for the member for 13/14 Dues). Use the following method to convert the contribution to a "prepayment-" contribution to facilitate tracking of the credit balance:
- Access the back office.
- Create the relevant “prepayment-" financial type if it doesn't already exist (e.g. "prepayment-13/14 Dues" - click HERE for detailed instructions on creating new financial types).
- Click the contact's Contribution tab.Click the "Edit" hyperlink to the far right of the contribution in question.
- Select the relevant "prepayment-" financial type (e.g. "prepayment-13/14 Dues").
- In the Source field, it is a good idea to add a note along the lines of "Credit balance for 13/14 Dues prepayment".
- Enter any additional contribution details and click Save.