The following Religious School Registration recipe is available 'out of the box' with your system. It does have limitations with regard to causing duplicate records that need to be merged and parents needing to fill out information about their child every year. An ENHANCED SCHOOL REGISTRATION process is available that eliminates this hassle. The initial form must be set up by Jvillage (fee applies), however you will be given training on how to lightly modify the form, yourself. If you would like more information on ENHANCED SCHOOL REGISTRATION, click on the BLUE SUPPORT BUTTON in the right bottom corner of this page to open a support ticket.
Your online school renewal will use the following hybrid (self-service) features of your system:
- Online Event Registration
- Complex Pricing (Price Sets)
- Online Fill-Out Forms (Profiles)The set-up for your school/ education online registration takes some time to complete the first time. However, once you've set up one event, you can re-use the event for future years. Let's get started!
The first step in setting up your school online registration is to ask the following questions:
- What questions will I need to ask about my students? Their secular grade? Parent Name(s)? Emergency Contact information? Allergies?
- What prices/ fees are associated with school registration? Registration Fee? Grade fee(s)? Book fee(s)?
IMPORTANT:: Next, you need to decide the following: which questions (e.g. fields you will create) need to be associated with financials/ fees and which questions do NOT relate to money? This is a very important question. If the question related to money = you'll create a field in your price set. If the field does not have any tie/ relation to money = you'll create a field in your profile. Here are some common questions (e.g. fields) asked for school registration and how you could categorize them (e.g. price set or profile)::
- Grade*** (1,2,3 ) = this could be associated with the price set, as each grade has a price associated with it
- Hebrew Class = this could be associated with the price set, as each class has a price associated with it
- Books? = this could be associated with the price set, as books have a price associated with them
- Bar/ Bat Mitzvah Fees = this could be associated with the price set, as typically bar/nbat mitzvah preparations have a price associated with them
- Child Care (am/ pm) = this could be associated with the price set, as typically extra child care has a price associated with it
- Allergies = this could be associated with the profile, as (unless you charge extra to administer allergy medication) there is no cost to be associated with having allergies
- Secular School = this could be associated with the profile, as there is no cost associated with attending a particular secular school.
- Special Needs = this could be associated with the profile, as (unless you charge extra to assist with special needs) there is no cost to be associated with having special needs
- Transportation? = this could go either way. If you charge for transportation/ pick-up = price set. If you simply want to organize car pools/ do not charge for transportation = profile
- Youth Group = this could go either way. If you charge for youth group participation = price set. If you simply want to organize/ do not charge for youth group participation = profile
Now that you have decided which fields need to be created within your price set, log in to your back office and go to the back office top menu Events/ New Price Set. Fill out (1) the price set name, (2) used for "event", (3) and pre-form help instructing the parent or user filling out the form HOW to go about filling out event registration/ selecting the prices. Pre-form help is very important in (hopefully) preventing fill-out form errors. IF A PARENT IS LOGGED IN AN FILLS OUT THE FORM INCORRECTLY, THIS CAN CHANGE THEIR BACK OFFICE RECORD (e.g. their name would be the child's name etc).
Create Price Fields
Now you need to create the fields within the price set. The screen will automatically take you to "add a new price field" once you click "save" when setting up the price field. Depending on which fields you decided were needed in your price set, start creating these fields. The following field types are available to you when creating new price set fields. Each has its own unqiue qualities. See a description of each field type below:
Text/ Numeric:: this field type creates a text box for donor to fill in a numeric quantity, such as "5" raffle tickets.
|Select:: this field type creates a drop-down bar that allows donors to choose one of several options. This field type could be used for a drop-down bar showing membership type options.|
|Radio:: this field type creates several radio (round) buttons to choose from. Important to note with this field, donor can only choose one option and the option "none" is also given by default as a choice UNLESS the field is "required". Then the "none" o|
|CheckBox:: this field type creates several square check boxes from which the donor can choose one or several of the options.|
NOW, save your price set work. To preview your price set, go to your back office top menu Events/ Manage Price Sets. From this screen find your price set and on the right choose "preview" link. Leave the price set for now - we'll come back in a moment.
Next, we move on to creating your online fill-out form of non-financial information. This is called a profile. To create a new profile, go into your back office menu Administer/ Customize Data & Screens/ Profiles/ Add Profile. Title your profile "student information". Fill in the following information about the profile:
- Profile Name (ex: Student Registration Info)
- Used For (check "standalone form or directory")
- Pre-form help (as with your price set, feel free to add pre-form help instructing the parent or user filling out the profile form on how to fill in the profile (non-financial) fields. Pre-form help is very important in (hopefully) preventing fill-out form errors.
For instructions on the remaining steps of configuring your profile, CLICK HERE.
Congrats! We've created the building blocks for our online school registration event: price set (money) and profile (non-financial information). Now we need to tie it all together by creating an event & online event registration set-up. Go to your back office top menu Events/ New Event. Fill in the event info tab & event address tab. Click Save and Next after each step. For the third tab "fees", fill in the fees information. NOTE:: Make sure to choose the "price set" select option for the fees structure! ---->
Click Save and Next. For the "Online Registration" tab, choose the following options:
- Allow Online Registration? Check the box. Then the following additional options will appear.
- Registration Link Text: Choose text for your online event reigstration button.
- Registration Start/ End Dates: if you'd like to limit the event registration to before the date of the event, you can choose a start and end date for the registration to be "active", e.g. date range that it allows users to register online.
- Register Multiple Participants: if you'd like to allow parents to register more than 1 child at the same time, check this box.
- Allow multipe registrants from the same email address? if you'd like to allow parents to register more than 1 child at the same time but only have to enter in one email, check this box.
- Require participant approval? If you'd like to require back office approval before the person's registration is deemed valid, check this box. The pending pariticpant expriation (hours) is if the person has not been approved in this amount of time (hours) by the back office, then their registration is deemed invalid.
Then scroll to the middle of the "Online Registration" event set-up tab.
Add the following profiles to your event registration":
- Top of page profile = student registration information
- Bottom of page profile = leave blank
- Additional participant's profile = same as first paricipant
Set-up is complete! Now test your event registration. Go to your back office top menu Events/ Manage Events. Find your event by searching (search fields at top) or scrolling down the list. Once you've found your event, click on the links to the right: Event Links/ Test - Drive. This will allow you to create a test event registration. Go the entire process. Once you've completed the test registration, go back to your back office top menu Search/ Find Participants. In the search filters, choose the checkbox "find test participants?" and click search. Review the registration record(s) for accuracy.
Your set-up is complete. You've tested the registration and the back office records look great! Now you need to publicize your school registration. To do this, you can complete some or all of the folllowing:
- Email parents the direct link to the event information: you can send an email from the back office with a link to your event information page. To find the URL for the event information page, go to your back office top menu Events/ Manage Events. Find your event by searching (search fields at top) or scrolling down the list. Once you've found your event, click on the links to the right: Event Link/ Info Page. Copy this URL and paste it in your (e)mailing.
- Event Calendar: your event will automatically be added to your online calendar. Parents or users will be able to click on the event from your website calendar and register online.
- Upcoming Events Block: your upcoming events block on your front end website shows to 5 most recent upcoming events. As you near the school registration event date, parents or users will be able to click on the event title from your upcoming events block and register online.
- Create a page on your website with links to the event: You could publish a page on your website homepage or school page(s) promoting online school registration. As with a mailing, to find the URL for the event information page, go to your back office top menu Events/ Manage Events. Find your event by searching (search fields at top) or scrolling down the list. Once you've found your event, click on the links to the right: Event Link/ Info Page. Copy this URL and paste it in your website page/ hyperlink the URL.