Linking an Audio File
Audio files are a great way to share common and new worship songs and melodies with your members, help prepare bnai mitzvah with torah trope and blessings, and share special sermons or other recorded programs. Your website accepts .mp3, .mp4, and .wav audio files, but there are file limits. If you find you cannot upload an audio file due to its size, we encourage you to consider hosting larger files on a third party host such as SoundCloud, and embedding their audio player.
- Login and edit the page you want to add an audio file link.
- Type in the name of the audio file you want to reference on the page. This could be the title of a song, date or title of a sermon, date or title of a recorded program.
- Select the text and chose the hyperlink tool in the WYSIWYG toolbar. You will see a pop-up box. Select the Browse Server button in the pop-up.
- Another pop-up box will appear – this is the File browser for the server your site is hosted on. Open the folder for uploaded files – go to any subdirectory that you may have audio uploaded to, or you can create a new directory if needed. Once you are in the correct folder, select Upload in the File Browser pop-up.
- Find the audio file you want to upload (.mp3, .mp4, .wav files are acceptable; however there may be file size limits – up to 20MB ) and select it, you will now see a file path in the Choose File field in the upload box; select upload.
- Your new file will be highlighted in bright blue in the File Browser box. Select Insert in the File Browser pop-up.
- You will now see the file path in the hyperlink pop-up. Select the Target tab in order to open the audio file to a new tab when the user selects it.
Choose New Window , then OK.
- The title should now be hyperlinked and when selected will open to a new window and play using the browser’s default audio player.
- If you would like to add a “play” button to the audio link, you can find a wide assortment of play button styles on the web – download an image, and resize it to be 20x20 pixels or so. Upload the image via the image uploading tool and file browser, then you can place it in front of the audio title. Add the play button like you would any other image.
- Don’t forget to hyperlink the image to the audio file as well, just like you hyperlinked the title – but since you already uploaded the audio file, you don’t need to upload it again – just hyperlink it through the hyperlink tool, and find the audio file in the file browser in the folder you uploaded it to.
- Scroll down and Save your work, then check it from the front end to make sure the audio file opens to a new tab and plays as expected.